Short for N-AcetylCysteine, if you are hearing it for the first time, you aren’t alone. It’s the era of natural products in the health and wellness world, with NAC being the hot topic. With hospitals and supplement manufacturers using it as a critical ingredient in their formulation, here’s what you need to know about them.
NAC is a supplement form of the amino acid cysteine. Cysteine is usually found in high-protein food sources, including eggs, chicken, and turkey. One important thing to learn about this essential amino acid is that it is a vital building block of protein playing a crucial role in various body processes such as:
- Building muscles
- Regulating immune function
- Taking care of wear and tear
NAC is a semi-essential amino acid that can act as a precursor to glutathione (a powerful antioxidant that prevents damage from free radicals on a cellular level), thus, laying a solid foundation for preventing severe illnesses, diabetes, cancer, and even Alzheimer’s.
NAC helps combat cell damage by neutralizing the free radicals present in our body that lead to cellular damage, aging, and senescence. One of the studies revealed that glutathione might increase a cell’s longevity by combatting the adverse effects of oxidative stress leading to many chronic diseases. NAC, being a precursor of glutathione, maintains optimum glutathione levels, especially as we undergo aging.
NAC supplementation equips you with the following health benefits:
- IMPROVES LUNG HEALTH: NAC replenishes glutathione levels in the lungs, decreases inflammation in the bronchi and other areas, and loosens mucus in the airways, thus, proving to help fight chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- ENHANCES IMMUNITY: NAC aids the immune system by killing viral cells and blocking their ability to replicate. It has also proven to be effective against COVID-19 disease. Another study revealed that HIV patients witnessed improvement in their immunity and level of natural killer cells.
- INCREASES FERTILITY: It has been proven highly beneficial for men. Infertility issues often rise in men due to low antioxidant levels and high free-radical damage activity, leading to low sperm count and mobility rate. In the case of women, NAC has been shown to improve the fertility rate in those suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
- ENHANCES COGNITIVE PERFORMANCE AND BRAIN HEALTH: NAC, being a regulator of glutamate levels, improves many cognitive skills, including learning ability, memory, and brain function. Glutamate, a neurotransmitter necessary for healthy brain function, in excessive amounts may lead to abnormal brain function, thus, causing diseases like bipolar disorder, addictive behavior, and OCD issues.
NAC supplement is also helpful in maintaining optimum blood pressure while having anti-aging properties. With immune health being on top of the mind due to the ongoing pandemic, adding a quality NAC supplement to your routine will only boost your overall holistic health.
Although natural food sources are always a good option, meeting all the nutrient demands every day might be challenging to keep track of and challenging to meet. Therefore, choosing a quality NAC supplement offers all the health benefits without having you worry about your daily nutrient needs.